Reviews and Ratings
Winix Dehumidifiers are much less well known than brands from US companies such as Frigidaire and Danby. They are also less widely used than other models from non US companies such as Haier and LG. This apparent lack of popularity is probably due to the higher prices generally charged for Winix models.
In reviews of the Winix brand, however, we find that customer satisfaction is high and user experiences bear out claims that Winix models show a higher overall build quality than some of their competitors. In addition Winix manufactures Dehumidifiers with useful features not typically found in other units.
One example is auto-restart, to switch the unit back on following a power outage. While not a rare feature this is by no means universally fitted and is a valuable addition if you are away from home for periods of time and depend on the dehumidifier to do its job in your absence.
A second feature which is rarely if ever found on other portable models is an integral condensate pump. Virtually all models are capable of continuous drainage but rely on a gravity feed. This means that a drain or other outlet must be close by and at floor level. The pump inside a Winix unit will lift the water up to 15 feet above the level at which it is sited, a huge increase in flexibility and convenience. A separate condensate pump would cost between $40 and $80, a sufficient justification for the price difference in itself.
We have a high regard for Winix Dehumidifiers and recommend them confidently to our visitors. The next section tells you a little more about the company behind them.
Winix dehumidifiers are manufactured by Winix Inc. a company based in the Republic of Korea (South Korea). Winix produces a range of home appliances with the common themes of air and water. These products include air coolers, air cleaners and air purifiers, cold and hot water purifiers, water dispensers, fan heaters, components for air conditioning units, evaporators, condensers, bidets and other related items. The company is also a supplier of materials to other manufacturers and processors, including resins and fuses.
Winix manufactures dehumidifiers under private label brands for suppliers such as Sears (Kenmore) and also under its own Winix brand name.
The range of Winix Dehumidifiers includes the following models:
Winix 50 Pint Dehumidifier WDH751
- The Winix 50 Pint Model WDH751 is a stylish unit that will remove excessive moisture and keep humidity at a comfortable and safe level in areas of up to 1000 square feet.
- This unit may be used in a medium sized basement but is also suitable for other areas of your home such as living rooms, bedrooms and laundry rooms.
- User reviews of the Winix WDH751 are largely positive. The unit is reported to be "effective" and "quiet" and many people select this model because it is one in which the fan does not run continuously.
- The Winix WDH751 is a good all round performer with a host of useful features and I am pleased to recommend this model to our visitors.
Read my review of the Winix WDH751
Winix 70 Pint Dehumidifier WDH871
- The Winix 70 Pint WDH871 is a more powerful unit and will be of most interest to those who need to control relative humidity in a larger basement.
- The extra water removal power enables this unit to operate effectively across a larger area and the Winix WDH871 will comfortably manage humidity in a space of up to 1500 square feet.
- Reviews of this model are not as plentiful as for some of the better known brands but the general view is that the Winix WDH871 is well made, effective and easy to use. There are few complaints.
- There are other 70 pint models that are as good as the Winix WDH871 but none of them come with an internal pump. If the pump is important to you the WDH871 is a sound choice and I have no hesitation in recommending it to you.
Read my review of the Winix WDH871
Return to Home Page